What Is The Battle Over Phosphate Additives All About?
Are phosphate additives next on the too much of a good thing list? Sure, we immediately recognize trans fat as bad and understand why it was banned. But, isn’t phosphorus beneficial to the body? Turns out even something healthy can have harmful effects when consumed in excess. If certain factions have their way expect this flavoring to lose favor in the not too distant future. Meanwhile, Kitchology’s Eat.Better app shows you how to enjoy a whole natural array of rainbow flavors.
What’s irrefutable? Phosphorus is the second most abundant mineral in the human body. In it’s natural state it aids nerves function, helps muscles contract, and repairs or grows teeth. Most of it is stored in our bones to grow them strong. Naturally, the body absorbs about 40 -60% through foods.
When turned into compounds, to flavor cola, cause baked goods to rise, and emulsify canned soups and processed cheeses certain scientists are raising questions. Are we absorbing too many phosphate additives? Is that a bad thing? So far the FDA has not raised a red flag on the matter. In fact, they have deemed it “safe for human consumption”. Why doesn’t the whole scientific community agree? Some point to information showing excess phosphorus has been associated with a higher risk of cardiovascular disease and hardened arteries. Chronic kidney disease sufferers may also want to take it easy with their consumption. It may also increase risks for a heart attack. So, where does that leave us?
Seeing as phosphate additives only enter the body through our own actions, we could be held accountable for those choices. That said, should this conjectured ban occur next month, next year, or later maybe we should put more thought into what we put into foods to make them healthier, tastier etc. Sometimes, we realize too late that we’ve used too much of a good thing. Got any thoughts on #phosphate additives? Share them @Kitchology or @Kitchenchick123.
- How To Strengthen Our Food Technology Snack Obsession - August 23, 2017
- How Will Amazing Food Technology Wow Shoppers? - August 4, 2017
- Which Powerful Food Technology Victory Makes The Most Sense? - July 6, 2017
- Is Special Tested Personalized Food Technology The Best? - June 23, 2017
- How To Celebrate Food Technology Worth Its Salt - June 14, 2017
- Can Expert Food Technology Better Weigh Sweet Success? - June 8, 2017
- How To Live In A Waste Free Food Technology Future - May 28, 2017
- Should We Value Food Technology Safety More? - May 20, 2017
- What Is The Best Daring Unusual Food Pairing? - May 11, 2017
- How Will Big Wonderful Food Technology Trim Your Bottom Line? - May 6, 2017