How To Get A High Score On Important National Gluten Free Day
Today, in behalf of National Gluten Free Day we’re going to test your knowledge on this topic. Download Kitchology’s Eat.better. app for more ideas.
What is gluten? It’s a protein. It works as the glue that gives dough elasticity while also helping it rise and retain its shape.
The real question
Here’s a trickier one…What grains naturally contain gluten? Simple answer: All grains contain gluten. However, when talking specifically about “gluten free” the big offenders are wheat, barley and rye. These are the three kinds of grains that usually impact people with celiac disease or a gluten sensitivity.
What grains are considered safe to consume on a “gluten free” diet?
- Chickpeas (Garbanzos)
- Flours from nuts/beans/seeds
- Potato starch or flour
Did you notice oats are missing from the list above? First, know that oats on their own are not on the avoid list for celiac sufferers. The problem is created during harvesting. Apparently, during the machinery contact portion of the process they become contaminated with grains carrying harmful gluten. It is possible to harvest true “gluten free” oats, but be aware it comes with a hefty cost. Since this month is also a national celebration of oats, be on the look out for the “gluten free” kind.
Confused yet? To simplify it all there are package seals demonstrating products are certified gluten free by a third party organization. Right now there are 4 major program labels. Look for these at the store:
- The Gluten-Free Certification Program (GFCP)
- The Gluten-Free Certification Organization (GFCO)
- CSA Recognition Seal
- QAI/NSF InternationalDo note, if your gluten free product doesn’t have one of these seals on the bag you could end up with a tummy ache. Beware of any copy cat imposters. Shop smart!
We hope this exercise has helped elevate your #glutenfree awareness. Have any additional facts you’d like to share with us? Send them to @Kitchology and @Kitchenchick123. Also, don’t forget to signup to get the latest food news from Kitchology Blog.
- How To Best Overcome Your Vegan Crepes Challenge - February 22, 2017
- Harness Better Energy With Healthy Free Buckwheat - February 20, 2017
- 5 Cool Ways To Sizable Big Outstanding Hemp Protein - February 17, 2017
- Filling Up A Beautiful Sweet Gluten Free Love Tank - February 10, 2017
- How To Show Important Appreciation With Amazing Seaweed - January 30, 2017
- Are You In A Hurry To Find The Best Peanut Butter Options? - January 24, 2017
- Win Authentic Praise For Special Yummy Free Fig Newtons - January 17, 2017
- How To Raise Your Awareness On National Gluten Free Day - January 13, 2017
- How To Whet Your New Coconut Flour Obsession - January 11, 2017
- Is It The Right Time For A Little Fat To Be Back? - January 6, 2017