How To Best Deliver Super Sweet Potatoes For Any Occasion
While Spanish explorers may have come up short in their search for jewels and spices in the New World, they did manage to return home with corn, white potatoes and sweet potatoes. For 200 years white potatoes struggled for acceptance. Meanwhile, in Europe, sweet potatoes were considered a rare expensive delicacy. Fast forward to the present where they’re grown everywhere from the Asiatic islands to southern Russia, and even New Jersey!
Outside of the tropics, sweet potatoes thrive best in loose sandy soil that’s well drained. There, they’re able to produce more pounds of food per acre than any other cultivated plant. This statement comes from Sweet Potatoes.
Sweet Potatoes vs. Yams can be confusing!
With over 200 varieties, it can seem overwhelming to choose the best ones for certain occasions. However, the ‘Jersey’ variety is one of the most popular, due to its dry mealy flesh. Furthermore, in the South, their other name, ‘yams’, are more watery, soft and gelatinous when cooked. As a result, this naming issue can be confusing as yams are actually a member of genus Disocorea. Read about it at All About Sweet Potatoes and Aggie Agriculture.
Offered colors include cooper, brown, magenta, purple, pink and buff. Americans rebuff the purplish colors perceiving them as poor in quality. The North uses sweet potatoes primarily for human consumption. In contrast, the South takes advantage of their comparative higher starch content, as opposed to the Irish potato, using them for manufacturing and food production.
Nutrient breakdown: Fiber and nutrients, including beta-carotene, vitamins A and C, and antioxidants. Since they are starchy it’s best to be mindful of how often you’re using them, especially if diabetic.
What’s your preference? Be it baked, grilled, sauteed, diced, cubed, or as matchsticks, served sweet or savory, the options with sweet potatoes really are endless!
Here are some suggestions:
Start the morning off right with sweet potato hash. Don’t forget to add lycopene boosting grape tomatoes, antioxidant rich bell peppers and/or spicy cayenne to the mix.
- As an alternative to a traditional beef burger, why not try sweet potato burger?
- Add to next mix of homemade hummus.
- Check out this sweet potato casserole for your next dinner. They’re great for friendsgiving or thanksgiving; you can’t go wrong serving it at your next meal.
- Chill out with some ice cream flavored sweet potato .
- Swap out traditional white potatoes for scalloped sweet potatoes.
What’s your favorite way to eat #sweet potatoes? Please share with us @Kitchology and @kitchenchick123.
- How Important Are Quality Tested Mulled Cider Secrets? - September 30, 2016
- How Unlimited Is Your Crab Obsession To The Edge? - September 28, 2016
- How To Cram In More Healthy Terrific Udon Noodles - September 13, 2016
- Unlock Love for Date Nut Bread with Today’s Celebration! - September 8, 2016
- How To Enjoy A Monumental 7 Day Chili Peppers Adventure - August 26, 2016
- Around The World With Eggplant 10 Wonderful Ways - August 19, 2016
- How To Speak Of Excellent Healthy Jujube Love - August 17, 2016
- How Sensational Sweet Potatoes Surprise The Most Ordinary - August 8, 2016
- Will Emerging Superior Allergy Safe Chickpea Flour Soar? - July 26, 2016
- How To Cram Your Gigantic Little Sliders Best - July 25, 2016