How to Enjoy Your Favorite Yogurt Guilt Free!
Have you considered how versatile yogurt can be? Striving to make more calorie-conscious decisions? Naturally, you’re fulfilling this quest by opting for lots of salads, right? The trouble with this plan is that some salad dressings are so full of fat and calories, that you might as well have had a cheeseburger. Not to worry though! There’s no need to give up all creamy delicious dressings. All you have to do is whip up a homemade version using Greek yogurt!
Most plain Greek yogurt is naturally low in fat or fat free and a safe bet for people with a mild dairy intolerance. The probiotics used to ferment it eat the lactose so a relatively small amount is left by the time it gets to your fridge. This ingredient is also a great source of protein, potassium, and calcium.
The ingredients that I used for the dressing in the photo above were:
½ cup plain Greek yogurt
¼ cup olive oil
½ Hass avocado
1 tbsp basil
Juice from ½ of a lemon
Salt and pepper to taste.
I just put all the ingredients in the blender and I had homemade dressing in a matter of minutes! I mixed my dressing with white beans, tomato, onion, and the other half of the avocado. Then I poured it all on a bed of greens. Greek yogurt provides endless recipe possibilities. Try it as a healthier substitute for mayonnaise in chicken, pasta, and potato salads. Its tangy flavor and similar consistency also make it an excellent substitute for sour cream when topping a baked potato or chili.
This ingredient can also be used to make moist, flavorful baked goods. Although I haven’t tried it myself yet, I’ve been enticed by a variety of cakes and protein bars. This yogurt cake recipe by An Italian in My Kitchen is definitely at the top of my baking list!
If you’re feeling particularly adventurous, you can learn to make your own yogurt here. It’s much easier than you’d think!
- Matcha Will Make You Fall in Love With Your Food! - January 29, 2016
- Enjoy This Rich Creamy Yogurt Ingredient Guilt Free! - January 14, 2016
- How to Get More Out of your Morning — Super Cereal Vigilant Eats - September 15, 2015
- The Cooking Verdict is Out– 5 Best Toasts are In! - August 28, 2015
- Enjoy One of America’s Favorite Foods Without the Guilt! - August 25, 2015
- How to Make a Vegan Meal with Cuban Flavor - August 18, 2015
- How to Stop Your Dairy Affair –Go Veggie! - August 13, 2015
- Taste Test Tuesday: Go Raw® Spirulina Energy Bar - June 16, 2015
- The Ultimate Vegan Sandwich for Summer! - June 9, 2015
- Taste Test Tuesday: Napa Cabbage - June 2, 2015