Can Awesome Winning Cottage Cheese Overcome Its Blah Reputation?
Think cottage cheese is just blah, lumpy, flavorless diet food? Well, you’re missing out. In cooked dishes this high protein low calorie wonder provides a great substitution as a creamy sauce for pasta or as a delicious base for a dip. Cottage cheese makes gratins taste rich and luxurious. Check out Kitchology’s Eat.better app for more ideas.
It’s so good for you…
How healthy is it? In a one half-cup serving size you are gaining 14 grams of protein and only 82 calories. It’s high amino acid leucine helps build muscle, so it’s a great workout recovery snack. Consider a cottage cheese swap next time your recipe calls for milk, butter or mayo.
Make it the way you want it.
Ever consider do it yourself cottage cheese? If you’re curious here’s a Quick Cottage Cheese Recipe from Alton Brown at the Food Network. To smooth out the lumps give it a whirl in a food processor or blender. Enjoy this now healthier alternative to sour cream in your favorite dip recipe. Top it over baked potatoes. Slather this smooth whipped cheesy spread on a bagel, or pancakes, with jam.
Getting creative with Cottage Cheese:
- Add it to smoothies. Blend it into your favorite fruit smoothie or green smoothie recipe for an extra boost of protein.
- Add it to pancake batter to make Cottage Cheese Pancakes, which are much higher in protein than regular ones, but taste just as delicious.
- Stir it into pasta. The cottage cheese gets warm and creamy and is especially good with lots of freshly ground pepper.
- Use it instead of ricotta in Lasagna or other baked pasta dishes.
- Serve it On a baked potato with salsa.
- Spread it on toast
- Sprinkle it over granola and drizzle with honey when a sweet and creamy craving strikes.
- Stir in crumbled graham crackers and a shake of pumpkin pie spice.
- Add a spoonful while you’re making scrambled eggs.
- Stir in some pesto with it. Then enjoy as a dip, spread for vegetables or as a sauce for pasta and cooked veggies.
- Mix it with chopped celery and tuna or small canned shrimp instead of mayo.
- Roll it into pastry dough to satisfy your sweet-but-not-*too*-sweet tooth.
- Scoop it over your favorite green salad for a boost of creamy goodness.
- Sneak it into mac and cheese.
- Use it as a substitute for cream in your next batch of homemade ice cream.
Share you #cottage cheese recipe ideas with us @Kitchology and @Kitchenchick123.
- How To Make More Valentine’s Day Love - February 13, 2017
- 46 Sweet Ways To Love The Most Dark Chocolate World - February 1, 2017
- Can Favorite Comfort Foods Make The World Feel More Special? - January 29, 2017
- 15 Innovative Ways To Smash Big Lumps in Poor Cottage Cheese - January 27, 2017
- What is Your Secret to the Perfect Brownie? - January 23, 2017
- How to Conquer the Nutrition Label and Your Diet - January 22, 2017
- How to Embrace the Value and Benefit of Horseradish - January 20, 2017
- How to Substitute Blissful Goodness with Maple Syrup - January 18, 2017
- What is Your Favorite Pancakes of the World? - January 15, 2017
- 16 Surprising Reasons to Embrace Apricots - January 9, 2017