The Untold Secrets of Rich Gluten Free Cassava Chips
Ever satisfy your munching craving with cassava chips? Allergic to potatoes? This may be the choice for you.
What is it? Also known as cassava, yuca (pronounced yoo-ka, and not interchangeable with yucca as you may have read elsewhere. The latter being a tall cactus-y looking inedible plant from another family.) is a tuberous root potato like plant that grows in tropical climates. While maybe unfamiliar to most of us in North America, it serves as third highest source of carbohydrates for millions of people around the world.
Although somewhat similar in nature to potatoes, yuca are different. The latter are sweeter, with a somewhat nutty taste and contain more starch. In fact, watch out when consuming them. They have almost double the calories and a higher carb count — in 100 g serving yuca has 38 g vs. white potatoes with 17 g — too. Should you choose to indulge in this tropical delight, they are usually served skinned and made into mashed potatoes or turned into fries. This starchy root vegetable is also used to make tapioca pearls. For those living a gluten free diet, cassava is also turned into tapioca flour for baking purposes.
We love to eat this root vegetable in chip form. There are many different brands of cassava chips. I have noticed on the bag labels that other ingredients besides cassava are sometimes included. If you’re on a strict diet make sure to read what’s in the bag before consuming. I’ve found them in health food stores and online. Prices run similar to other chips. However, depending on where you shop they may run a bit higher. There are different flavors of cassava chips. We’ve only tasted plain sea salt. They have a similar crunch to potato chips. Though the taste is slightly different you will still find the crunchy salty satisfaction you would get out of a chip.
Next time you’re looking for a healthy root vegetable in chip form give #cassava a try. Share your discoveries with us on our social channels @Kitchology and @kitchenchick123.
- How To Globally Unlock An Allergy Friendly Sweet Tooth - March 28, 2017
- More Useful Terrific Around The World With Allergy Friendly - March 21, 2017
- The Best Sweet Yummy Coconut Flour Satisfaction Revisited - March 16, 2017
- How To Deliver Allergy Friendly Secrets To Russia With Love - March 14, 2017
- How To Love More Of The Allergy Friendly World - March 7, 2017
- Can Genuine Grapefruit Bread Deliver Its Best Secrets? - February 28, 2017
- How To Best Overcome Your Vegan Crepes Challenge - February 22, 2017
- Harness Better Energy With Healthy Free Buckwheat - February 20, 2017
- 5 Cool Ways To Sizable Big Outstanding Hemp Protein - February 17, 2017
- Filling Up A Beautiful Sweet Gluten Free Love Tank - February 10, 2017